The Mortgage Interest Rate Lock Advisory for Falmouth MA for November 18, 2009
Here are some of the events affecting mortgage interest rates today in Falmouth, MA.
What the Mortgage Backed Securities Market is Doing Today:
The price of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% MBS coupon opened at 101.69 this morning - down 2/32 from yesterday's close.
The chart below shows today's price trend of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% coupon:
The FNMA 30-Year 4.5% MBS coupon is currently trading at 101.72 - up 1/32 from its opening. Remember, on mortgage backed securities (MBSs), as the price goes down, the yield goes up - and so do mortgage interest rates. I expect that mortgage interest rates will be about the same in price this morning as compared to yesterday.
Recent Activity in Mortgage Backed Securities:
The chart below shows the price trend of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% coupon over the past 30 days:
Economic Reports, News, and Events Affecting Mortgage Interest Rates Today:
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) for October - there was a 0.3% increase in the overall reading, and a 0.2% increase in the core data reading - slightly better than expected. Analysts expected to see a 0.2% increase in the overall reading, and a 0.1% increase in the core data reading. The core date was driven up mostly by the prices of cars and light trucks. Similar to the Producer Price Index (PPI), this report measures inflationary pressures at the consumer level of the economy. While the report revealed slightly stronger than expected readings, it did not have much of an impact on the mortgage market or mortgage interest rates this morning.
- Housing Starts for October - there were 529,000 housing starts in October - a 10.9% decline from the previous month - and is much less than the 600,000 that was expected. It's also the lowest level since April of this year. While this report provides an indication of strength in the housing sector, it usually does not have a noticeable impact on the mortgage market or mortgage interest rates.
In other news, Robert Eisenbeis, chief monetary economist at Cumberland Advisors Inc. and a former research director at the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, talks about housing starts and consumer sentiment. Watch this video from Bloomberg:
What's Happening With Mortgage Interest Rates Today:
Moderate Volatility. There's not much room for MBS prices to move higher or for mortgage interest rates to move lower at the moment. If you're happy with the rate being offered to you and don't want to risk mortgage interest rates moving higher, you should apply and lock in today. Mortgage rates are currently inching upwards again. If you have not yet locked in your mortgage interest rate, please proceed with caution and maintain contact with your mortgage professional. Also, give very serious consideration to applying now and locking in before mortgage interest rates get worse.
My Mortgage Interest Rate Lock Advice for Today:
If I were considering financing/refinancing a home, I would...
- Lock if my closing was taking place within the next 7 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 8 and 30 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 31 and 45 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 46 and 60 days
This is only my opinion of what I would do if I were financing a home. It is only an opinion and cannot be guaranteed to be in the best interest of any or all other borrowers.
Get today's mortgage interest rates for your situation in Falmouth, MA.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
Lew Corcoran, ASP®, IAHSP, IAHSP-CB