The Mortgage Interest Rate Lock Advisory for Yarmouth MA for November 23, 2009
Here are some of the events affecting mortgage interest rates today in Yarmouth, MA.
What the Mortgage Backed Securities Market is Doing Today:
The price of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% MBS coupon opened at 101.75 this morning - the same as Friday's close.
The chart below shows today's price trend of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% coupon:
The FNMA 30-Year 4.5% MBS coupon is currently trading at 101.84 - up 3/32 from its opening. Remember, on mortgage backed securities (MBSs), as the price goes up, the yield comes down - and mortgage interest rates come down with it. I expect that mortgage interest rates will be the same in price this morning as compared to Friday's close.
The chart below shows the price trend of the FNMA 30-Year 4.5% coupon over the past 30 days:
Recent Activity in Mortgage Backed Securities:
Economic Reports, News, and Events Affecting Mortgage Interest Rates Today:
- Existing Home Sales Report for October - the National Association of Realtors (NAR) that 610,000 existing homes were sold last month, much more than expected. This is an 10.1% increase over the previous month's sales, and is the highest level since February, 2007. This report provides us with a measurement of housing sector strength and mortgage credit demand. The report shows that the housing sector is improving. However, this report usually had little or no impact on the mortgage market or mortgage interest rates this morning.
Is the housing market really improving? Watch this video from CNBC to learn more:
What's Happening With Mortgage Interest Rates Today:
Low to Moderate Volatility. Overall, the first three days of the week will be the most important with the release of the Retail Sales Report, the Producer Price Index and the Consumer Price Index reports.
There's not much room for MBS prices to move higher or for mortgage interest rates to move lower at the moment. If you're happy with the rate being offered to you and don't want to risk mortgage interest rates moving higher, you should apply and lock in today. While there's still some room for MBS prices to tick higher, it's better to have locked when you should have floated than it is to float when you should have locked.
If you have not yet locked in your mortgage interest rate, please proceed with caution and maintain contact with your mortgage professional. Also, give very serious consideration to applying now and locking in before mortgage interest rates get worse.
My Mortgage Interest Rate Lock Advice for Today:
If I were considering financing/refinancing a home, I would...
- Lock if my closing was taking place within the next 7 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 8 and 30 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 31 and 45 days
- Float if my closing was taking place between 46 and 60 days
This is only my opinion of what I would do if I were financing a home. It is only an opinion and cannot be guaranteed to be in the best interest of any or all other borrowers.
Get the best available mortgage interest rates for your situation in Yarmouth, MA!
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
Lew Corcoran, ASP®, IAHSP, IAHSP-CB